Sunday, June 13, 2010

Marathon Mama!

Ok, the plan was to start posting where I left off. But let's be honest, I'm too lazy to make up for lost time. So, this is where I'm starting...


On May 2, 2010 I ran my first marathon! Woo hoo! It was so hard! Mentally and physically demanding. I ran the marathon up in Orange County with about 10,000 other runners. I kept up a good pace for most of the run, but the last six miles really killed me. My back started to ache really bad and so I slowed down to walk for a bit. Well, once I started walking, it was hard to start up running again. I probably walked a good part of those last six miles which really disappointed me. My finishing time ended up being 5:04.



Trapped. After the race, we go straight into a 'runners' only' area with food and drinks. I had a hard time eating. I was super close to losing it in this photo. Very nauseous. Julia's obsessed with my medal.


So, not being thrilled with my finishing time, I felt the need to run another. My friend, Catherine, and I were able to run the San Diego Rock n Roll marathon on June 6Th with 40,000 other runners. That's right, two marathons (and a hair color change) within almost a month of each other. I am a little insane... Well, this one wasn't any easier. More hills and warmer weather proved to be more challenging than OC Marathon. Although, with the help of my running buddy, I was able to beat my time by twelve minutes and I ran the race in 4:52.
Funny story. At this point, I have completed at least half the marathon and am super hungry. Julia runs out to meet me with a nectarine. It's hers though, she just happened to be holding it when I ran by. I try to take a bite, Julia freaks out. I take a bite anyway knowing she's being ridiculous. Nathan tells me later on after the race that she was so mad a bout me taking a bite of her nectarine that she refused to eat it and he had to drive home and get her a new one. Oh boy...
(Also, a little side note, as wonderful as my husband is in supporting me, notice my daughters scary hair in both this and previous photos. Please, can he not manage a ponytail???)







I do think I am hooked now, though. There will be more to come. And I will keep running until I meet my time goal...


Also, my husband is the best support ever! He was there for both races. Loaded the kids in and out of the car about six times per race to cheer me on at different parts of the race. Fighting traffic and crowds to take pictures and show his support. I love him, and am so grateful for him!!!

7 comments:

Susan said...

That is absolutely amazing Kass!! You are crazy awesome!! And how do you look so good after running 26 miles? You are impressive. :)

megan said...

I love that you posted and love that you continue to have goals with your exercising. So what is your goal time, anyway?

Peck Family said...

cried thru your whole post! im so proud of you and so proud of your husband!

Unknown said...

You amaze me! Hopefully one day I will be brave enough to run with you. ;-)

jon♥kara said...

You're awesome Kass! Fun post, Nathan got some great shots.

iknowjewels said...

Good for you Kassidi! Also that marathon running has you rock solid.

Yes, the second picture of Julia I am reminded of a small homeless child with the hair. But its still really cute.

Tim and Jennifer said...

This is the most boring blog EVER!! Bahhhhhhh I really just want an update.