Monday, December 31, 2007

Backboarding


Who knew when I went to Brighton to snowboard, I was going to take "boarding" to an all new level??? It was only my second run of the day and I stopped to wait for Nathan, who had taken the scenic route through the trees, when it hit me. Literally, HE hit me HARD! Not Nathan, but some punk teenager who was going fast and out of control. He hit me right in the back and I tumbled about twenty feet down the mountain. After about 45 minutes I was able to try and sit up, only to black out. Ski Patrol had to backboard me and pull me down the mountain. Then, from there, I was put on an ambulance and transported to a hospital. By the time the Doc let me get off the board I had been on there for over two hours! It was so misserable. My back was killing me and I could hardly walk. I'll shorten up the rest and just say that there was no spinal damage, but a lot of soft tissue and muscle damage. Also, the guy had hit me so hard with the edge of his board, that even through three shirts and my jacket I still have a cut on my back from the board. But the worst part is the depression. I waisted a whole day in the ER that I could have been snowboarding, and hopefully I will be able to get on my snowboard again, soon, bc we are in Colorado now and supposed to go again the end of the week. I have been looking forward to this trip for so long and hopefully it won't be waisted!

11 comments:

Susan said...

Goodness sakes!! That's so frightening! How are you feeling now? I'm glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did!

Jon and Lara Stowell said...

Holy crap Kassidi! I was wondering what the heck happened to you. I haven't seen you at work in forever it feels like. I hope you're feeling better. Such a crazy story!

Tim and Jennifer said...

I hope you're hitting the slopes in Colorado. I think that would be the most positive outcome... So fun to see you guys!

jon♥kara said...

OMG!! That's so crazy! I'm so glad that you're alright with no serious damage! I know that just spoiled the trip completely for you! I'm so sorry. You look forward to snowboarding all year! No wonder I haven't heard from you in forever you've been on a stretcher. Call me when you get back!!

camille kempton said...

That's awful!! I'm so glad it wasn't more serious. Hope you have fun in Colorado. Wish we could have gone.

Annie Miller said...

Kassidi,
Can I just say you have the worst luck traveling! I am so glad you are ok. What an amazing story to tell. You really will laugh about it later. I hope you kicked the punk in the shins (sp?)!

Annie Miller said...

Or bit him...since you were stuck to a stretcher!

megan said...

oh my gosh! I'm so sorry! I hope you are able to go again and that your trip was not wasted.

August and Melissa said...

that's crazier than me getting electricuted! LOL I'm sorry-I hope you feel better soon! Call me when you get home- I wanna hang out! August is gone to Texas for 2 weeks so I'm stuck home alone.

Peck Family said...

KASS!
OH MY GOSH! this post scared me. I hope eeverthing is all right.

Tanya Kimball said...

Yup! Isn't Carolina's so good?! Drew appraises houses around there all the time and if you listen to the news there are some very scary things happenin' at night within a mile of that place! Hope your getting better!