Tuesday, June 2, 2009

La Jolla Cove


Today we went to La Jolla Cove. We had never been there before, since usually when we'd visit San Diego we go to Mission Beach. Well, it's my new favorite beach! There were seals everywhere, which was very cool. Also, there are tide pools where Julia could go explore. She loves looking at the crabs and the "goos" (sea urchins).
Here's a picture of some of the seals. When we were down on the beach, one of them just waddled up on shore right next to us! I couldn't believe it!
You can see more seals in the background.
I bought a big blanket for Mason to play on, but he likes the sand so much that as soon as I put him down, he books it for the sand!
And then he gets covered in it.
Luckily I can keep his binky in most of the time so he doesn't eat too much of it :)
We had so much fun at this beach. In the cove there was a place where people were swimming out into the ocean and back. The distances were marked with buoys. Well, Nathan decided to go for a swim and when he came back he said he really liked it and there were a lot of fish to look at. So I decided to conquer one of my biggest fears of swimming in the ocean and take the plunge, literally. I made it about 3/4 the way to the quarter mile buoy and then had to turn around because I was almost hyperventilating. I don't know why, but open water freaks me out! I was so scared! It took so much out of me to stay calm enough to make it back to shore. I'm gonna keep trying though, until I can do it!

8 comments:

Lindsey Vance Parry said...

You guys have very cute kids! I haven't seen Nate in such along time, we were in the same ward when we were younger, tell him the Parry's say Hello!!!

August and Melissa said...

kass don't worry- i freak out like that at the lake too! Water is scary and the things that are in it!

Arabeth said...

I kinda get that way too. I had to rescued by a lifeguard because I caught in a rip tide. So we are super excited to come visit you guys!Find all the new places to go. So you can show us. Thanks for the nice chat the other day!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a blast. I'm jealous! Hopefully we'll make it out to see you guys and we can take the kids to the beach. Layla would love it!

megan said...

I am the same way about open water. Good for you though, I love your mind over matter attitude! You are so strong. Dang I wish I would have known about that cove when we were there a month ago, it is exactly what I was looking for. Oh well I guess that just means we will have to come visit you and go there. I think Reuben will be working in S. Cal at the end of July so maybe we will join him then!

JonesFamily said...

Lucky! I can't believe you get to live there!

jon♥kara said...

Looks like fun. A quarter mile out into the ocean. I don't think you could get me to do that. There's just a whole world of life under you and it freaks me out too much.

iknowjewels said...

Open water is even scarier at night because you cant see it. That was my first experience with manta rays. frightening.

You can do it though. That beach sounds absolutely gorgeous!!